ד”ר מרדכי קידר
BA: 1982, Arabic and Political Science, Bar-Ilan University, Israel.
PhD: 1998, Arabic, Bar-Ilan University, Israel.
Areas of Research: Islam, Islamic Movements, gender issues in Islam, Arabic mass media, popular culture in the Arab world, state and society in the Arab world.
Languages: Fluent in Hebrew, English and Arabic.
Assistant Professor: Bar-Ilan University, Israel.
Lieutenant Colonel in the Israel Defense Forces, Military Intelligence, head of a branch in the hi-tech 8200 unit. On active duty until 1995.
Teaching at Bar-Ilan University since 1994, Departments of Arabic and Middle East Studies.
Adjunct lecturer: Tel-Aviv University, Israel, 2005 (Course on Islam)
Adjunct lecturer: Ariel College, Israel, 2006. (Course on Islam)
Member of academic institutions:
- Director of the Center for the Study of the Middle East and Islam (under formation), Bar-Ilan University, Israel.
- Research Associate at the Begin-Sadat Center for Strategic Studies, Bar-Ilan University, Israel.
- Member of the Herzliya Inter-Disciplinary Center, Israel – Study team: “Facing Radical Islam”
- Member of the international board of The Berlin International Center for the Study of Antisemitism (BICSA)
- Member of the international board of Canadian Institute for Jewish Research (CIJR)
- Weekly analysis about the Middle East of the Israeli “Makor Rishon”
- Weekly analysis about the Middle East of the Israeli “Yom le-Yom”
Academic Publications (partial list):
- · Clash of Values: Gender and Family Issues as Sources of Tension between Islam and the West, Herzliyya, 2007.
- · Asad In Search of Legitimacy: Messages and Rhetoric in the Syrian Press under Hafiz and Bashar, Sussex Academic Press, Brighton, 2005.
- · “Our Children Are in Danger” – Education as Viewed by the Islamic Movement in Israel in: Ami Ayalon and David Wasserstein (eds.), Madrasa: Education, Religion and State in the Middle East (in Hebrew), Tel-Aviv, 2004, pp. 353-381.
- · Islam and ‘Female Circumcision’ – The Dispute over FGM in the Egyptian Press, September 1994, Medicine and Law – World Association for Medical Law, Vol. 21 No. 2, 2002, pp. 403-418.
- The Clash of Values: Islamists and the UN 1994 Population and Development Conference in Cairo, Paper presented at an international colloquium at Tel Aviv University, entitled: “Middle Eastern Societies and the West: Accommodation or Clash of Civilization?”, December 2002. To be published shortly.
- · In Search of Legitimacy: Asad’s Islamic Image in the Syrian Official Press in: Moshe Ma’oz et al. (eds.), Modern Syria from Ottoman Rule to Pivotal Role in the Middle East, Sussex Academic Press, Brighton, 1999, pp. 17-32.
- · “Arabness” in the Syrian Media: Political Messages Conveyed by Linguistic Means” in: International Journal of the Sociology of Language, Joshua A. Fishman (ed.) (Guest ed. Jacob Landau), No. 137 (1999), pp. 141-146.
- With David Yerushalmi, “Shari‘a and Violence in American Mosques“,Middle East Quarterly, Summer 2011, pp. 59-72.
- “The Future Vision of the Islamic Movement” in Elie Rekhess and Arik Rudnitzky (eds.), Muslim Minorities in Non-Muslim Majority Countries: The Islamic Movement in Israel as a Test Case, Tel Aviv University, 2013, pp. 115-124.